Pass it along!
Kaiser Cars For Sale by Year
|Note: In 1953 Kaiser Motors purchased
Willys-Overland and changed the name to Willys
Motor Company. Willys had reentered the passenger
car market in 1952 with the Willys Aero, a compact
- - - - -
History of Kaiser-Frazer Motors, Kaizer
Kaiser Motors (formerly Kaiser-Frazer)
Corporation made automobiles at Willow Run, Michigan,
United States, from 1945 to 1953. In 1953, Kaiser
merged with Willys-Overland to form Willys Motors
Incorporated, moving its production operations to
the Willys plant at Toledo, Ohio. The company changed
its name to Kaiser Jeep Corporation in 1963.
Originally formed as the Kaiser-Frazer Corporation
in 1945, the firm was reorganized in 1953 under the
name Kaiser Motors Corporation after withdrawal of
Joseph W. Frazer from the venture. The Kaiser-Frazer
stock was redeemed and Kaiser Motors stock was issued
at that time. Kaiser Motors manufactured automobiles
in a number of locations around the world with the
primary facility and corporate headquarters at Willow
The company, founded by Henry J. Kaiser, a United
States industrialist, and Joseph W. Frazer, president
of the Graham-Paige Corporation, started making automobiles
with the brand names Kaiser and Frazer almost immediately
after World War II. Kaiser-Frazer also built a small
car called the Henry J, named for Henry Kaiser. A
slightly re-designed version of the Henry J was sold
by selected Sears Auto Centers during 1952 and 1953
under the brand name Allstate. This car was tagged
as a product of Sears-Roebuck. While listed for informational
purposes in the Sears "wish books", the
Allstate could not be purchased by mail order.
In 1948, after too many disputes with Henry Kaiser,
Joseph Frazer resigned as president of Kaiser-Frazer;
Henry Kaiser's oldest son, Edgar, was made president
in April 1949. The Frazer marque was discontinued
after the 1951 models. Joseph Frazer remained as a
sales consultant and vice-chairman of the Kaiser-Frazer
board until 1953. At the 1953 annual stockholders'
meeting, Kaiser-Frazer Corporation's name was changed
by stockholder vote to Kaiser Motors Corporation.
Shortly before meeting, Kaiser-Frazer's Kaiser Manufacturing
Corporation division worked out a deal to purchase
certain assets (and assume certain liabilities) of
the Willys-Overland Corporation, makers of Willys
cars and Jeep vehicles. After completing the acquisition,
Kaiser Manufacturing Corporation changed its name
to Willys Motors, Incorporated. During late 1953 and
1954, Kaiser Motors operations at Willow Run Michigan
were closed down or moved to the Willys facility in
Toledo, Ohio. Kaiser car production in the United
States ended during 1955.
At the end of 1955, the management team of the Henry
J. Kaiser Company used Kaiser Motors Corporation to
create a new holding company encompassing the various
Kaiser industrial activities. Kaiser Motors' name
was changed to Kaiser Industries Corporation, and
functioned as a holding company for various Kaiser
business holdings including Willys Motors Incorporated.
U.S. production of Kaiser and Willys passenger cars
ceased during the 1955 model year, but production
of Willys Jeeps in Toledo, Ohio, USA continued. Kaiser
continued automobile production in Argentina under
the Industrias Kaiser Argentina (IKA) company and
Willys passenger cars moved to Brazil under the Willys-Overland
do Brasil company, using the dies formerly employed
in the U.S. well into the 1960s.
The company changed its name to Kaiser Jeep in 1963.
By 1969, Kaiser Industries decided to leave the auto
business, which was sold to American Motors in 1970.
As part of the transaction, Kaiser acquired a 22%
interest in AMC, which it later divested. Included
in the sale was the General Products Division, which
Kaiser had purchased from Studebaker in 1964 as it
prepared to leave the auto business itself. AMC renamed
the division AM General, which still operates today,
and is best known as the manufacturer of the original
High Mobility Multipurpose Wheeled Vehicle (or Humvee),
later called the Hummer H1.
- Kaiser, includes Deluxe, Carolina, Traveler, Dragon
and Manhattan sedans.
- Henry J, a small economy car including Corsair
- Darrin, the first production fiberglass sports
car in the USA, beating the Corvette to market by
one month. Featured a unique "pocket door"
design that made the doors slide into the fender
of the car. Only 435 were made for the 1954 model
- Willys, including "Aero-Willys" and
all sub-trim levels include Aero-Lark, Aero Ace,
- Jeep, including pick-ups, CJ (civilian Jeep) vehicles,
all steel wagons, Wagoneer, and Jeepster marques.
- Allstate, designed to sell through and by Sears-Roebuck
department stores in the southern United States,
a slightly restyled Henry J. The cars were equipped
with Allstate products (tires, battery, etc.). The
modest styling changes distinguishing the Allstate
from the Henry J were executed by Alex Tremulis,
the co-designer of the 1948 Tucker Sedan.
(from Wikipedia.org, Creative